Yellow Gunja/पीला गुंजा is attributable to the plant Abrus precatorius. Three forms with Red Gunja, Yellow Gunja and another with white seeds are known to occur in this species and are employed for different therapeutic uses viz. as purgative, emetic, aphrodisiac, tonic and also as an abortifacient. According to some Ayurvedic literature the seeds are poisonous and should be given to the patients after proper processing (‘Shodhan’).
A comparative study of various phytochemical parameters, namely, percentage of successive extractives, total proteins, tannins, total ash and acid insoluble ash of these three forms of the processed (with cow’s milk and Kanji) and unprocessed seeds was done. TLC and densitometric scanning of successive extractives was also carded out to serve as markers for processed and unprocessed seeds.
The percentage of proteins, tannins, and alcohol and water soluble extractives decreased in the processed material. Besides, their acute toxicity, CNS activity were also studied in albino mice and it was found that white seeds are more toxic as compared to the red and brown. The toxic effect was reduced with the processing. Further, the ‘Kanji’ processed seeds are less toxic than the milk processed one.
Yellow Gunja– Abrus precatorius is a poisonous herb used in Ayurvedic medicines after detoxifying process. Its seeds(Yellow Gunja) and roots are used in treating hair fall, arthritis pain, as an aphrodisiac and more. -Yellow Gunja.
In Ayurveda, Yellow Gunja is recommended in treatment of nervous debility, obstinate cough and locally in Leucoderma, alopecia, sciatica, stiff joints, leprosy (Mahakustha; Kushtani, Kustaroga) and paralysis. -Yellow Gunja.
The roots and leaves can be used safely in recommended dosage. But the seeds(Yellow Gunja) are poisonous and must be used cautiously. Medically its uses are here under.
- Anti-estrogenic: blocks the production or utilization of estrogens, or inhibits their effects. Estrogens are the family of hormones that promote the development and maintenance of female sex characteristics.
- Anti-inflammatory: reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- CNS-depressant: depression of the central nervous system that can result in decreased rate of breathing, decreased heart rate, and loss of consciousness.
- Demulcent: relieves irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth by forming a protective film.
- Depurative: purifying agent.
- Expectorant: promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- Emetic: Causing vomiting.
- Laxative: tending to stimulate or facilitate evacuation of the bowels.
- Rubefacient: Causes dilation of the capillaries and an increase in blood circulation.
- Teratogenic: disturb the development of an embryo or foetus.
- Uterine stimulant, abortifacient: Causes abortion on internal use.
Yellow Gunja Products Details:
- Yellow Gunja 21 Pcs Yellow Gunja. Provided by AstroMantra.com
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.