Bada Karela/बड़ा करेला: Bada Karela (Momordica charantia) is one of the most popular vegetables called Karaila. The fruits are used in a variety of culinary preparations and possess high nutritive and medicinal value. The fruits are rich in vitamin C and folate, and contain alkaloids likely momordicine, saponine and albuminoidal, which are medicinally important. Juice extracted by crushing bitter gourd fruits is most commonly used for treatment of diabetes.
The crop can tolerate low temperatures, but extreme cool temperatures will retard growth. The plants are adapted to a wide variety of rainfall conditions. Bada Karela tolerates a wide range of soil but prefers a well drained sandy loam soil rich in organic matter.
Fruits are considered as a rich source of vitamins and minerals and 88 mg vitamin C per 100 g. Fruits are used after cooking and delicious preparations are made after stuffing and frying. During periods of glut in market, fruits are sliced, partially boiled with salt and dried under direct sunlight and stored for months. This is used after frying. Bada Karela fruits have medicinal value and are used for curing diabetes, asthma, blood diseases and rheumatism. Drinking fresh bitter gourd juice is recommended by naturopaths. Roots and stem of wild bitter gourd are used in many Ayurvedic medicines.
It is a luscious, climbing vine with slightly fuzzy stems clothed with dark green, deeply lobed leaves and yellow, dioeciously flowers. The important bitter gourd growing states are Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Odhisha, Assam Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
Bada Karela Benefits
- Bada Karela is a great source of several key nutrients.
- Bada Karela is especially rich in vitamin C, an important micronutrient involved in disease prevention, bone formation, and wound healing (2Trusted Source).
- It’s also high in vitamin A, a fat-soluble vitamin that promotes skin health and proper vision (3Trusted Source).
- It provides folate, which is essential for growth and development, as well as smaller amounts of potassium, zinc, and iron (4Trusted Source).
- Bada Karela is a good source of catechin, Gallic acid, epicatechin, and chlorogenic acid, too — powerful antioxidant compounds that can help protect your cells against damage (5Trusted Source).
- Plus, it’s low in calories yet high in fiber — fulfilling approximately 8% of your daily fiber needs in a single one-cup (94-gram) serving.
Bada Karela Details:
- Weight: 250 Gram (1 Packet) Provided by AstroMantra.com
- Form: Dried Raw Herb
- Condition: Authentic, Clean and Sorted
- Delivery: 3-7 Days All Over World
- Storage: Keep it in a dry place and away from moisture.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.