April Festival 2018
April Festivals/अप्रैल त्यौहार: One is that the name is rooted in the Latin Aprils which is derived from the Latin aperire meaning “to open” – which could be a reference to the opening or blossoming of flowers and trees, a common occurrence throughout the month of April in the northern hemisphere.
In the initial Roman calendar April/April Festivals was the second month of the year until January and February were added in 700 BC. It could also be that the name comes from the Greek goddess Aphrodite.
April means Aphrodite’s month. Aphrodite is a Greek goddess of love and beauty. Her Roman equivalent is Venus.
The Saxons called the month Eostur-monath after the goddess Eostur(April Festivals). It is the Goddess Eostur from who we derive the name Easter.
April goes way back. Before January and February were added to the end of the year by King Numa Pompilius around 700 BC, April was already the second month of the Roman calendar year (March was the first). Around 450 BC, April was rearranged into the fourth slot, and was assigned 29 days. With the introduction of the Gregorian calendar by Pope Gregory XIIII in 1582, an extra day was added, and even though it took Mother Goose awhile to standardize the rhyme, we’ve been able to count on “30 days hath April” ever since.
There are a few common theories behind April’s naming. One is that the name is rooted in the Latin Aprils which is derived from the Latin aperire meaning “to open” – which could be a reference to the opening or blossoming of flowers and trees, a common occurrence throughout the month of April in the northern hemisphere(April Festivals). Another theory holds that since months are often named for gods and goddess, and since Aprils is derived from the Greek “Aphrodite,” one can conclude that the month was named for the Greek goddess of love (the goddess that the Romans called Venus)! Even now, April is a popular name.
As it weren’t enough to have its own mystery, April also adds to another origination story(April Festivals). Around the 5th century AD, the Anglo-Saxons referred to April as Oster-monath or Eostre-monath, a reference to the goddess Eostre, whose feast was celebrated during the month.
- Sankasht Chaturthi/संकष्ट चतुर्थी 03-04-2018
- Kala Ashtami/काला अष्टमी 08-04-2018
- Sheetala Ashtami/शीतला अष्टमी 08-04-2018
- Baruthini Ekadashi/बरुथिनी एकादशी 12-04-2018
- Pradosh Vrat/प्रदोष व्रत 05-04-2018
- Vaishakhi/वैशाखी 14-04-2018
- Shree Ganga Janam/श्रीगंगा जन्म 14-04-2018
- Somvati Amavasya/सोमवती अमावस 16-04-2018
- Shree Parshuram Jayanti/श्रीपरशुराम जयंती 18-04-2018
- Akshay Tritiya/अक्षय तृतीया18-04-2018
- Vinayak Chaturthi Vrat/विनायक चतुर्थी व्रत19-03-2018
- Surdas Jayanti/सूरदास जयंती 20-04-2018
- Shankracharya Jayanti/शंकराचार्य जयंती 20-04-2018
- Ramanuj Jayanti/रामानुज जयंती 21-04-2018
- Ganga Saptami/गंगा सप्तमी 22-04-2018
- Shivaji Jayanti/शिवाजी जयंती 22-04-2018
- Sita Navami/सीता नवमी 24-04-2018
- Mohini Ekadashi/मोहिनी एकादशी 26-04-2018
- Pradosh Vrat/प्रदोष व्रत 27-04-2018
- Narsingh Jayanti/नृसिंह जयंती 28-04-2018
- Shree Kurm Jayanti/श्रीकूर्म जयंती 29-04-2018
- Vaishakhi Purnima/वैशाखी पूर्णिमा 30-04-2018
- Buddh Jayanti/बुद्ध जयंती 30-04-2018